Sunday, February 19, 2012

Reading Salad

Last week during stamina reading, I noticed so many of my kids pretending to read. I have some great actors this year, and "fake reading" is one of their specialties. A few weeks ago, I attended a comprehension PD that included a lesson on Metacognition and what REAL READING looks like. I decided this would be the perfect time to show my kids what REAL reading is.

I started the lesson by bringing in a book that I was reading in my free time. I read a few appropriate paragraphs for my class. I read the whole thing straight through without any stopping. Then, I asked my class what they noticed about how I was reading. They shared things like: reading quickly, being able to read all the words, etc. I told them I had a big secret to share with them. I was FAKE reading! I was able to read all the words, and it looked like I was reading, but I was a actually thinking about Chicken McNuggets instead! They couldn't believe it! I asked them to be honest, and raise their hands if they had ever pretended to read. All their hands shot up. They admitted to thinking about recess, lunch, P.E., not actually reading at all, and only making it look like they were reading when I was looking. I couldn't believe how honest they were! I appreciated it, and it really made this lesson more meaningful. Here are some pics and a description of how the lesson worked.
My "Real Reading Salad." I had three kiddos help with this in the front of the room. As I read the words in the text, one kiddo put a "text" card into the salad bowl. As I stopped to think aloud and ask questions, a second kiddo added a "thinking" card to the salad. The third student was in charge of holding the salad bowl, and mixing it all together. As I kept reading and stopping to think, my helpers kept adding "text" and "thinking" to the bowl. I chose Something Beautiful written by Sharon Dennis Wyeth to use as our read aloud. It is a deep story, and there were lots of places to stop, think, and predict to model for my class.


This is our Real Reading salad mixture. Equal amounts, text and thinking.


I also made individual Reading Salads for each of my kiddos. I cut all the strips of paper, and then had the kids help me write text and thinking on them. Each student gets a text envelope, a thinking envelope, and a Reading Salad cup. During independent stamina reading, they worked with their own salads and added text and thinking cards to their cups as they were reading. I modeled this a few more times during the week, and I'll have my kids keep practicing with their owns salads during independent reading time. They loved it, and we've been throwing Metacognition into our day as often as possible to help them remember how to
 pronounce it! 

 Here is our anchor chart we made to show Real Reading. We started with text,
then talked about thinking. When you combine both you get REAL READING! Good readers are always thinking about text and their thinking. We titled our anchor chart Metacognition. I told them that was like a fourth grade word, and they flipped! My ELL class needed lots of practice saying it over and over, but they eventually got the hang of it. I told them to go home and ask their families if they knew what Metacognition meant. My kids were so excited to come back the next day and share that they knew a word their high school brothers and sisters didn't know!

This lesson was based on Comprehension Connections. This my new favorite comprehension book. I have previously used Reading With Meaning, but this one is much more hands on and concrete. I am planning to try many of these lessons for the remainder of our year. Love so far, and my kids are really getting it. Yahoo!

Later on in the day, one of my cuties came up to me and said "Mrs. Conger, I wanteded (oh those darn verbs!) to apologize to you. I'm sorry I was pretending to fake read." I thought this was so cute! She is such a sweetheart. Some of kids were writing about Metacognition during free writing, and how it was such a "fancy" word. Too cute! I forgot to take pictures of their writing, but I'll post on Tuesday!

Signature

24 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the book, "Comprehension Connections." It's definitely one of my favorite teacher resources. Great ideas! I'm your newest follower.

    Your blog is adorable! Come check out my blog sometime. I posted a few freebies recently.

    Lyndsey
    A Year of Many Firsts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting and following me! On my way to your blog now!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Melanie here...I have this book. Our school did a book study on it. I even made presentations for it on the Promethean Board. If you have one or could use them otherwise, I'll be happy to forward them to you. :)

    Melly<><
    staplersstrategies@gmail.com
    Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie! I would love to check them out. I have a SMARTboard. Will that work?

      Delete
  4. I need to check out this book ASAP!!
    I love your anchor chart!!
    ❤ Sandra
    Sweet Times in First
    sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the perfect hands on way to teach comprehension to our ELL kiddos. They REALLY make those connections!

      Delete
  5. Love the blog...your anchor chart is awesome. Just found your darling blog and became your newest follower!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhh! I am totally obsessed with Comprehension Connections! So excited to see how other people implement the lessons.:) Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad I found yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, where to start? Thanks for stopping by my blog, yours is so cute! I use Comprehension Connections and LOVE it.

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was once entirely right.
    This put up actually made my day. You can not consider just how much time I had spent for this info!

    Thank you!
    Also see my website: Cooking With Coconut Oil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there, You've done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I'm sure they will be benefited from this website.


    My web page ... Cooking Under Fire

    ReplyDelete
  10. An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been doing a little homework on this. And he in fact ordered me lunch due to the fact that I discovered it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending time to talk about this subject here on your internet site.

    Look at my weblog :: women's watches

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why users still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world all is presented on
    net?

    Visit my webpage affiliate marketing anbieter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great site you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any user
    discussion forums that cover the same topics
    talked about in this article? I'd really like to be a part of community where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

    my site; stuhrling original watches for men

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great delivery. Great arguments. Keep up
    the good work.

    Look at my web blog :: watches for men

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like looking through an article that will make people think.
    Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

    Here is my page ... seo tips

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Appreciate it

    My page mens Vestal watches

    ReplyDelete
  16. always i used to read smaller content that as well clear
    their motive, and that is also happening with this
    article which I am reading at this time.



    Here is my web-site remote control

    ReplyDelete
  17. First off I want to say terrific blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your head before writing. I have had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there. I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Many thanks!

    My webpage ... mens victorinox swiss army

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great information. Lucky me I ran across your website by chance (stumbleupon).
    I've bookmarked it for later!

    Feel free to visit my website ... relic watches

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for finally writing about > "Reading Salad" < Liked it!

    My website; Funpro1000.

    Homedns.Org

    ReplyDelete
  20. Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old
    one! It's on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

    Here is my page - akribos for women

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The clearness for your submit is just excellent and i can assume
    you're knowledgeable on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grasp your feed to keep updated with impending post. Thank you one million and please continue the enjoyable work.

    my webpage: victorinox swiss army watches for women

    ReplyDelete
  22. What wonderful insight! Thanks so much for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete